A resolution for 2020

I have decided this year to have a resolution. Normally I don’t. They generally last for a couple of weeks and then fizzle out. Like gym attendences after January.

This Year’s Resolution is….

REPAIR, MAKE, STRIP AND SORT.

The plan is to do one of these activities a week throughout the year. I have made fifty two tick boxes in my journal.

There are odd little repair jobs that have been mounting up in my workshop for the last couple of years. Now is the time to get on and do them. Most will only take a couple of hours to do and I have been putting them off. If I do them it will make more working space and earn brownie points with the family.

I have started so many little projects and then left them when something else pops into my little head. Again more space in the workshop.

Figures sitting in jars of Methylated spirits. I have three jars on the go. Some of them haven’t seen the light of day for four years.

Boxes of random stuff from the move from England. Containers full of mixed screws. I have homes for this stuff, now.

If I do more than one of these tasks in a week then I will tick as many boxes as jobs done. The target is fity two tasks by the end of the year and if I do it sooner great!

Well I found some plates

A few years back, when I was at CSM, the canteen was having a clear-out and I came across these plastic plates.
rtow1
We used them in our greenhouse, back in London, to put plant pots on. But always in the back of my mind I thought they might be useful for something hobby related.
Over here now and getting settled. Time to start unpacking boxes and I came across them. Tick tick tick, hmmmm?
rtow2
I laser-cut a base and some gubbins to make it a bit more interesting but I seem to have missed out photographing the base painting and the chipping.
rtow3
Here we are masking the structure to add a white stripe.
rtow4
Masking the whole structure to avoid overspray.
rtow5
As you can see my airbrushing was not very successful. Instead of gently building up the layers I blasted away with the end result being this where the paint went under the masking.
rtow6
This was remedied by adding a line of marker pen.
rtow7
Adding rust streaks with oil paint.
rtow8
The finished product. I wanted to provide a quick photo as I’m certain it is going to feature in more photos in the future.
If I can point you in the direction of this blog
http://port-imperiale.blogspot.co.at/
It’s Blogs like this that keep me on my toes.
Now that reminds me…. I’ve got some small flowerpots I picked up at Ikea because they had some plastic grass in them.

More pyrates?

image
Continuing the theme we have a pair of shipwrecked pyrates from Reaper.
image
I have greatly enjoyed painting these figures but time seems to be slipping away and I always seem to get side-tracked by other little things. Here you can see an Oldhammer sign for my display case, some regiment signs for my Napoleonic army and some Black Powder gaming tokens.
image
But the big news….
…..we finally completed on a house!
With garden,
Mountain views,
Workshop,
and Man-cave.
So no more tiny flat with all my belongings and hobby bits in storage.
Now my time is going to be taken up with getting the house ready and of course my Man-cave.
image

What happened to May?

The answer to that is, not a lot. My Death Korps Riders hardly got touched and have been retired to the cupboard. This month I’ve pulled out six pyrate figures and I’ll tackle them one at a time.
First up is Captain John Finch from Musketeer Miniatures.
image
I made the mistake of using some Tamiya Flat White as an undercoat. I might as well have painted them with chalk, the stuff just flaked off. I’ll do a bit of reading about it. It was purchased along with a few other pots of clear colour at a Flohmarkt for fifty cents a pot. The clear colours are fine and I already use the Clear Red for blood and gore.
The month hasn’t been wasted though, I’ve added a few more items to my shop. Go on click the button, I know you’re curious. And I won a painting competition. Puppets War http://puppetswar.eu, a Polish miniatures company are running a monthly painting competition. I entered my Ork Jet which I’d finished earlier this year and I won sixty six Euros to spend in their store. Which was nice.
At the end of the month we get the keys to our new house which is kind of exciting and kind of scary. It does mean that I will be getting a permanent hobby space, although for the first few months it is going to be used mostly as a storage/unpacking area as we clear the lager.