Warning: Picture heavy!
This is a collection of photos of bits and bobs I made over the summer. I “operate in the autism spectrum” to give it it’s official designation, diagnosis seven years ago. So it has been comparatively recently that I have found out why I act or behave the way I do. It has been a revelation because I can see why I approach things in a certain way or why I just don’t really “get” people. One of the things that I have discovered about myself is that I like things to be tidy and organised. The state of my environment reflects my mental state and vice versa. I am more likely to be happy in an organised environment.
This collection of images shows my growing obsession with tidy/organised, and it helps bring stuff together that I had spread over several boxes in different locations.
This is a spray booth I have made from plastic mounting board (from Electric Love, a running theme throughout this post), LED strips from a flohmarkt and a bathroom extractor fan. At the moment the extractor hose doesn’t connect to anything as yet. In all this cost me just under fifteen Euros.
A box to store my various Dremel bits in. Made from an old Sacher Torte box where I engraved the lid.
A set of drawers, from the recycle centre, which had cracked plastic drawer fronts. I replaced them with some lasercut wood. I’m using them to store my glass working tools and my spare Dremel.
I have another Dremel with a flexible drive which I’ve mounted on a curtain rail above my workdesk.
My work chair has been acquired by Number 2 Son for his desk in his bedroom, so I needed something to sit on. This came from recycling and I added a bit of timber (Electric Love) for height and some wheels from Hofer. I works well and I’m using it to store electrical cabling which once filled a box on my workshop shelves.
More bits from Electric Love. I have been storing my lasercut stock in shoe boxes, but it didn’t look very professional when I went to shows. The grey boxes were thrown out because they had had holes drilled in the bottom and were deemed unfit for further use. They were ideal for me. I cleaned them up, they had been used as storage boxes on the site quads, so very quite dusty. I used more of the plastic mounting board to make dividers. Next job is to work through my computer files and organise properly. This links to my next post. Watch this space. I also got an empty champagne box with no lid. Quick trip to Bauhaus and Happylab and voila! a new lid.
These shelves, again chucked out from Electric Love, are ideal for storing my basing supplies.
While working on site we would lug around big tool crates filled with everything we would need. Clearing up at the end of the festival each tool crate had handfulls of loose screws. Logistics got some under-employed jungs to sort them out by size into empty beer glasses. Once all the shelves had been restocked there was a crate of sorted screws left over. They were going to be binned so I grabbed them and took them home. I made these screw boxes with some leftover MDF.
Hot glue-gun holder, instructions from
A box for my hot-wire foam cutter. An eBay purchase. Sadly the vendor failed to supply the correct plug. However, my super talented neighbour wired in the correct cable.
This is my self-made clump maker. You can see my first attempts at making clumps. Not too bad, but not perfect.
I have now taken advice from this site
and ordered better materials.
Progress report to follow.
This links in to my clump maker. Flower tufts. I’m using sawdust from work which has been dyed with cheap acryllic paints from my local pound store. More details to follow.
Boys hard at work in the workshop and the finished blasters.