Just one minor adjustment, just extending a cut line by two millimetres, and it’s ready to roll. I already have an order for three, so not too shabby.
Today has been hotter than yesterday, if that is possible. The cicadas are in full voice and the mountains are a pearly grey in the heat.
This mornings task was to glue some walls together that I had laser cut over the last few weeks using up old scraps of MDF.
These were inspired by one of GDubs scenery books where they made walls from thick card. I really did not fancy spending hours and hours with a knife cutting out card shapes. This is where a laser cutter comes in handy. Each wall section only takes a couple of minutes to cut and I have loads of scrap that I want to use up. The only pain is glueing it together.
By ten this morning I had to stop as the glue was setting almost immediately in the rising heat.
I have been prevaricating around the bush about the Dragon. Mainly because I am nervous as it is the biggest model that I will have attempted. I do have bigger in the lead mountain, a Forgeworld Titan, but that model really does put the wind up me. Maybe next year?
I have been doing other things, work avoidance really, glueing together all the laser cut bits that that I have made for my scenery over the year and various DIY and painting jobs around the house.
The Wife and Kids have gone to Croatia for a week so I have the whole place to myself. This is good, the dining room table has been commandeered and all my loose ends from various corners have been spread out and collated. This has tidied up my work areas and reduced clutter.
The weather is far too good to be sat inside painting. So I am sat looking at the hazy mountains all blue in the distance and soaking up the sun. I have set some thermometers to tell me how hot it is. One is telling me it is 57 degrees. Another says 41.4 degrees, it also says it’s raining. And an older more traditional thermometer says 45 degrees. So it’s quite warm.
Luckily drilling holes for pinning is something that can be done outdoors. I am using paper-clips for the pinning because although the Dragon is resin it’s still pretty hefty and I’m not sure if my usual thin brass wire will be up to the job.
For some strange reason I’ve got it into my mind that this Dragon is Norwegian. But it won’t be blue.
I haven’t painted for four months.
There has been the Puppet’s War Robot sat on my desk half done for all this time and I think I have been using it as an excuse. So I have packed it away and cleaned the desk away of any other distractions.
So the next project is the dragon.
Here is the post I’d written before, for the benefit of my newer followers.
This project has also be an excuse to crack on with my workshop where I plan to airbrush and do some of the dirtier jobs.
I’m going to have a permanent airbrush set-up as before I had been packing it away after every use which I found that it put me off using it.
Part of my equipment is a single action airbrush which was being used for primer and for varnishing. I wanted a double action but the expense put me off. I use Facebook, probably too much, and one of the groups I subscribe to is the “Artblock Social” for people who went to Camborne Tech in the 80’s. The good old days before computers when there was Letraset, Cow-Gum, Type Scales, Grant Projectors, Magic Markers and of course Airbrushes. Anyway, earlier this year was a chat about Type Scales, how totally useless they are these days and why do we still have them lurking in the bottom of our drawers. So this got me thinking, and I posted that if any of the Technical Illustrators had an old one kicking about I’d gladly take it off their hands. I got a message back from one of the guys that he used to be a demonstrator and had a spare airbrush in his garage. He sent it to me and I was half expecting something quite well worn, not that I wouldn’t be grateful. When I opened the parcel I had quite a surprise, a brand new boxed DeVilbiss Aerograph Sprite!
On to the Dragon. I’d met Andy Foster from Heresy earlier this year at Salute and I had promised that this year I would be painting it. It appears that most of the dragons are boxed up on a shelf somewhere.
The next question was what colour? Red? Or green? These are your two classic colour schemes which most painters seem to follow. I was undecided. That was until last week when I had a trip to the zoo with my Boys.
Then I came across this and had my mind made up.
This is a Caiman crocodile and I was very taken by the orange and grey markings.
I think another trip to the zoo may be in order.
First of all a warm welcome to my new followers. Although I have to say I am not quite sure what some of you stand to gain from following a rather niche blog. But it is gratifying all the same.
So without further ado here is some more waffle.
Next up in the sketch modelling is the first in some sci-fi buildings. This is a small habitation.
Here is a side view with Sergeant Wilson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergeant_Wilson) for scale. The exterior is going to have lots of gubbins like solar panels and heat exchangers. I think I might make the top of the roof flat so it can be used as another surface in skirmish games.
This is a front view looking into the car/buggy port. There will be a step/s leading up to the entrance.
A rear view shot. I’m not sure whether to recess this a little and have a little porch area.
This is a follow on from the prototype in the last post. There are some minor adjustments to be made, but I’m just about there. I did misunderestimate the amount of roof tiles needed. The cut time is approaching an hour which is going to bump the price up, even at minimum wage.